Thursday, November 22, 2012

Speculating Canada Reviews EVIL

There's another review of EVIL? out on the web! This one comes courtesy of Speculating Canada, and can be found here.

The review, written by new best friend Derek Newman-Stille, focuses on the anti-bullying aspects of the book. This is amusing to me, because anti-bullying hadn't been foremost in my mind when I wrote it. Indeed, I'd been given a directive from my editors to write about something other than the kid who gets picked on; anti-bullying had been a very strong theme in Attack of the Intergalactic Soul Hunters, and a minor theme in Epoch, and they felt I needed to 'grow as a writer'. Stuart is the victim of bullying, however. It may have been brought on by supernaturally-enhanced religious zeal, but it's still bullying. Turns out I did write another book about the picked-on kid! I'm grateful to Derek for noticing and pointing that aspect out. It's a theme I'm not done with, not by a long shot.

Since this post is about EVIL?, let me take a moment to remind everyone about the short story sequel I wrote, Walk of Evil, which can be found here.
If you haven't already checked it out, please do so immediately!

No comments: